DIVERSE VOICES IN DOCS
“Diverse Voices In Docs” (DVID) is a professional development and mentoring workshop for mid-career documentary filmmakers of color, co-founded by Kartemquin Films and the Community Film Workshop. It is a nine-month long series of workshops and networking events. The goal of “Diverse Voices In Docs” is to provide advance training and support to media artists and to encourage them to produce social issue documentaries.
Past fellows and projects that have participated in the program include: Bing Liu (Academy Award-nominated director of "Minding the Gap"); Kelly Richmond Pope (director of "All The Queen’s Horses," winner of the HBO Spotlight Award for Best Documentary at the 2018 Martha’s Vineyard African American Film Festival); and Jiayan “Jenny” Shi (director of "Finding Yingying," winner of the 2018 Paley DocPitch, now a Kartemquin co-production due for release in 2020).
2020 is the eighth year of the successful program, which has helped over 80 documentary filmmakers of color advance their projects through mentorship and skill-sharing since launching in 2013. This is the second year in which $50,000 in grants will be awarded to graduates of the program, with $20,000 going to 2020 fellows, and $30,000 towards DVID alumni.
• Applicants should have played a principal role in a completed production (producer, writer, director, editor, etc.) and have experience or work history that demonstrates their commitment to social issue documentary
• Applicants are evaluated solely by their application
• Applicants must be a legal U.S. resident
• Applicants must NOT be a full-time student
• Applicants commit to participating in all aspects of the program and attending all nine (9) classes
• There is no application fee; an enrollment fee of $110 is due upon acceptance to the program
• Decisions will be based on finalist interviews and work samples
The Diverse Voices in Docs program will not provide: project funding, legal advice, equipment or post-production access.
Diverse Voices is closed. Sign up on CFWC email for notification.
Application and submission form: www.kartemquin.com/diversevoices